P1000 Adjusting headlights on 1000

F

freddy16

Aug 1, 2016
campbell river bc
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
can anyone tell me how to adjust the headlights on a pioneer 1000? Is it as simple as turning the screw below the light to raise or lower the height of the light?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats something I need to do also. High beams are up in the trees. I quit coon hunting years ago lol.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
can anyone tell me how to adjust the headlights on a pioneer 1000? Is it as simple as turning the screw below the light to raise or lower the height of the light?
Mine were way to high also. But I found when I adjusted them down the headlight assey. Was loose. I removed the adjusting screw so I could get the spring out and stretch it a bit. This gave it more tension against the light. Now lights are useful in front of me and not the tree tops. Lol

B

BlackeyedJoe

Oct 23, 2016
MARYSVILLE OH
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are we sure that right aims them up and left brings them down?? Seems to me that the screw being on the bottom and pulling the light in at the bottom would bring thd light down. Mine are way high and I cant get them to come down. Perhaps this is why....

Reactions: drfubar
advertisement
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are we sure that right aims them up and left brings them down?? Seems to me that the screw being on the bottom and pulling the light in at the bottom would bring thd light down. Mine are way high and I cant get them to come down. Perhaps this is why....

just did mine tonight.
left to loose the screw def brings them down, cause tightening brings the bottom edge in towards you and angles the light up.
but sadly aiming them down, also makes the whole assembly loose....

Reactions: Brianh76
S

Sparky74

Mine were shooting at the tree tops. Thought I was going coon hunting or something. Had to lower them all the way down to get them to shine on the road. Guess Honda doesn't know how to adjust and aim headlights from the factory.

B

Brianh76

Aug 21, 2019
Rio Rico AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine were way to high also. But I found when I adjusted them down the headlight assey. Was loose. I removed the adjusting screw so I could get the spring out and stretch it a bit. This gave it more tension against the light. Now lights are useful in front of me and not the tree tops. Lol

I tried stretching the spring and didn't get the tension I wanted. I considered replacing the spring then had a brainstorm to create spacers from an old Bic pen tube. Cut about 1/2" piece off the tube, found small washers to fit over each end of the spacer, and reinstalled everything. Much patience required! But it firmed things up quite a bit and allowed me to adjust the headlights all the way down without feeling like they might fall out on the trail. I ended up with the adjustment somewhere in the middle of the range, but this mod made things more stable. Honda really cheaped out on the headlight fixtures on these machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried stretching the spring and didn't get the tension I wanted. I considered replacing the spring then had a brainstorm to create a spacer from an old Bic pen tube. Cut about 1" piece of the tube, found a small washer to fit over the end, and reinstalled everything. Much patience required! But it firmed things up quite a bit and allowed me to adjust the headlights all the way down without feeling like they might fall out on the trail. Honda really cheaped out on the headlight fixtures on these machines.
That is a great idea

B

Brianh76

Aug 21, 2019
Rio Rico AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is a great idea

Thank you! But even after I did this, it was still a little too loose for my liking so I ran a cable tie over the adjustment screw and around the bar behind the headlight assembly. After I played with the screw until I was satisfied with the adjustment, I snugged the cable tie and it seemed to help keep the headlight assembly much more solid and stable.

20190829 145344 20190829 145426

Last edited:
Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you! But even after I did this, it was still a little too loose for my liking so I ran a cable tie over the adjustment screw and around the bar behind the headlight assembly. I adjusted the screw full out but still barely protruding from the plastic nut. I snugged the cable tie and it seemed to help keep the light adjusted downward, and absolutely made the headlight assembly much more solid. I'm not sure the spacer is even needed. I think you can adjust the screw out until you can barely feel it protruding through the nut, then add the cable tie, and see what you have. The cable tie might be enough!

View attachment 151650 View attachment 151651
My low beams are perfect but high is up in the trees lol

B

Brianh76

Aug 21, 2019
Rio Rico AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My low beams are perfect but high is up in the trees lol
I replaced the stock headlight bulbs with LED bulbs, then performed the mod we previously discussed, then adjusted the headlights. I tested them out last night and I am very happy with them. High and low beams perform as expected, no sky-busting with the high beams when the low beams are correctly adjusted. And there is a HUGE improvement in brightness and visibility.

Here are the LED bulbs I installed, they cost around $40 and they are plug and play:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZDLKT9/?tag=sxsweb24-20

The orientation of the LED's inside the housing is critical, and it is adjustable with these LED bulbs. If you go this route let me know and I can give you some details that will save you a lot of time.

Last edited: