P1000 Adding paddle shift to base model 1000-3

Iclark

Iclark

May 5, 2020
Limestone NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So last year I found a deal for a left over 2018 base model 1000-3. $9,999 with 3 miles on it. With sxs selling like hot cakes I didn’t do any research I put money down over phone and left fallowing Saturday on the 4 hour drive to pick it up.

The last year has been good. We “learned the machine” and do enjoy riding it but We did have one warranty repair oil tank gasket leaked but with the hassle of the drive back to dealer we bought it from it’s fixed.

It did take a lot getting used to driving and foot control to keep in lower gears to keep from lugging. This transmission makes some funky shifts in auto and no paddles to over ride or manual mode to switch to. I almost regretted buying at some points. But I knew the issue was me not being able to control shifts, it can’t tell what’s ahead of me it can only tell what is happening in the moment. I’d give it more throttle going up the base of a hill it would upshift and lug to rapidly downshift and rev way up instead of holding gear to climb hill

so after reading lots of forms, the service manual cover to cover, and parts lists multiple times I figured out my pcm was exactly the same as the next model up that came with paddle shifts and sport mode only problem my wiring harness wasn’t the same....
so I tore into the 33prong plug on pcm and figured a way to add wires to ports where I needed. I then found used parts off eBay and for around $120 I got the mode switch and the steering column with paddles

It took hours of reading and hands on in the garage and lots of cold ones but I now have paddle shift and sport mode on my base model 1000-3 and it’s made it so much more enjoyable to ride in all situations. I can’t imagine ever owning another sxs now ... well maybe power steering would be nice, but they already have kits for that, it just takes $$$

so in short I know for a fact you can add paddle shift and sport mode to a 2018 1000-3 base model

thank you Hondasxs for being here for encouragement and know how of its users it’s been a great tool! I hope this post will help someone else in my situation. It can be done

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So last year I found a deal for a left over 2018 base model 1000-3. $9,999 with 3 miles on it. With sxs selling like hot cakes I didn’t do any research I put money down over phone and left fallowing Saturday on the 4 hour drive to pick it up.

The last year has been good. We “learned the machine” and do enjoy riding it but We did have one warranty repair oil tank gasket leaked but with the hassle of the drive back to dealer we bought it from it’s fixed.

It did take a lot getting used to driving and foot control to keep in lower gears to keep from lugging. This transmission makes some funky shifts in auto and no paddles to over ride or manual mode to switch to. I almost regretted buying at some points. But I knew the issue was me not being able to control shifts, it can’t tell what’s ahead of me it can only tell what is happening in the moment. I’d give it more throttle going up the base of a hill it would upshift and lug to rapidly downshift and rev way up instead of holding gear to climb hill

so after reading lots of forms, the service manual cover to cover, and parts lists multiple times I figured out my pcm was exactly the same as the next model up that came with paddle shifts and sport mode only problem my wiring harness wasn’t the same....
so I tore into the 33prong plug on pcm and figured a way to add wires to ports where I needed. I then found used parts off eBay and for around $120 I got the mode switch and the steering column with paddles

It took hours of reading and hands on in the garage and lots of cold ones but I now have paddle shift and sport mode on my base model 1000-3 and it’s made it so much more enjoyable to ride in all situations. I can’t imagine ever owning another sxs now ... well maybe power steering would be nice, but they already have kits for that, it just takes $$$

so in short I know for a fact you can add paddle shift and sport mode to a 2018 1000-3 base model

thank you Hondasxs for being here for encouragement and know how of its users it’s been a great tool! I hope this post will help someone else in my situation. It can be done
Cool. I couldn’t imagine not having them now.. I love using paddle shifters while in auto. I rarely use manual anymore unless I'm hitting a big hill or big mudhole and I don't want it to upshift at the wrong time and bog me down.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice. Mines a 19 base 3. No bells whistles or hooks to hang them on. I like the simplicity of everything because it’s my 1st. I think about adding the ps but the manual does keep others from wanting to drive it so much.

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice. Mines a 19 base 3. No bells whistles or hooks to hang them on. I like the simplicity of everything because it’s my 1st. I think about adding the ps but the manual does keep others from wanting to drive it so much.
The super atv power steering is super easy to install and makes a world of difference. I put it on my p3 now I can put it in 4wd and hold a beer and steer haha.

B

Butch2424

Apr 24, 2018
Davie, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have recently purchased the column with paddles and the sport mode button all thats left is to figure out the wiring, did you happen to make an easy DIY write up for the wiring by any chance.

Iclark

Iclark

May 5, 2020
Limestone NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
so this picture is strait from the service manual which I strongly recommend getting your hands on to do this so you can figure out which port on your pcm they relate to for instance the mode switch (sport mode) uses port a1 and a7 and a ground wire. The shift switch(The paddle shifts) uses a6
And a16 and B3 but b3 can be connected to a common connector under hood behind where second battery spot is... again I strongly recommend the book and plenty of free time to work every thing out ... connecting them into the pcm plug is tricky if you give my a few days I’ll write up a better explanation on how I did it
FBFE0559 B2FC 4844 A74A 44054694BD6F

Iclark

Iclark

May 5, 2020
Limestone NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did see here on another post a guy had a 2016 and he said his wiring harness was the same as the others with shifting and he just had plug his buttons and switches in to his Harness

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did see here on another post a guy had a 2016 and he said his wiring harness was the same as the others with shifting and he just had plug his buttons and switches in to his Harness

I have a 16 p3 base model I have not checked if mine came with the harnesses would be great if it did! Do you or anyone else have a picture of the factory hook ups and locations?

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
advertisement
B

Butch2424

Apr 24, 2018
Davie, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This i
so this picture is strait from the service manual which I strongly recommend getting your hands on to do this so you can figure out which port on your pcm they relate to for instance the mode switch (sport mode) uses port a1 and a7 and a ground wire. The shift switch(The paddle shifts) uses a6
And a16 and B3 but b3 can be connected to a common connector under hood behind where second battery spot is... again I strongly recommend the book and plenty of free time to work every thing out ... connecting them into the pcm plug is tricky if you give my a few days I’ll write up a better explanation on how I did it
View attachment 276051
This is very helpful now I just need to find the honda pins for tge ecm, I checked and my 2016 does not have the harness connections already but still should be an easy job with your right up. I will update once it finished, thanks again.

Iclark

Iclark

May 5, 2020
Limestone NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So the pcm plug is a bit tricky to pull apart after I had it apart once to see if I felt comfortable attempting the project I went back to drawing board. I had no luck finding pins or at least ones I was certain would work. But the way the plug was designed it uses rubber seals to seal the wires and its fairly tight on wires which is what made pulling it apart a pain. it has one on the top in the plug with the wires in it and one in the bottom part of plug where it Meets pcm. This is where my way is not the “right”way I know, but it’s tested with many miles and works.

i decided instead of pulling plug fully apart again and risk breaking the plug or a wire, I just pulled the bottom part of the plug off where it meets the pcm. I then stuck my wire into the ports I needed thru the top of the plug and thru the rubber with about 1/2 inch bare wire until I could see the copper wire on the bottom of the plug with the bottom part of the plug removed. There is no science here to it but it works. I did use 16 gauge wire instead of the 18 to help use the rubber seal to keep wires in the plug and they are pretty tight. And when I installed my plug back on pcm I watched carefully and none of the the wires back out of the plug so I feel real comfortable I will never have an issue.

I know it’s not necessarily the right way to do it but it works and I didn’t want to have to buy a new harness because I screwed up my plug going to my pcm. If my way ever does fail I’ll go back to the drawing board but for now I’ll just enjoy my manual mode 🙂

Iclark

Iclark

May 5, 2020
Limestone NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This i

This is very helpful now I just need to find the honda pins for tge ecm, I checked and my 2016 does not have the harness connections already but still should be an easy job with your right up. I will update once it finished, thanks again.
Having any luck finding pins for pcm?

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Got pics?

Reactions: Lady01
K

Kody721

Aug 29, 2022
Tampa Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 276051
Hello great info here I just got a 2019 base model 1000 and I wanna add paddle shifters myself. My question is why not just get a harness that was for a model with paddle shifters already. I believe that would make it all plug and play yes?

Iclark

Iclark

May 5, 2020
Limestone NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would assume your correct. But I’m sure that isn’t cheap or easy to to remove and replace. I figured making my own sub Harness and running it where I needed was cheaper and easier. And when I was doing this I wasn’t even sure any of this would work so if it didn’t end up working I wasn’t out much more than my time and a around $200 for parts

Reactions: Plowboy1466
K

Kody721

Aug 29, 2022
Tampa Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I'm assuming I can just buy a paddle shift assembly off eBay I see used ones for like 100bucks then get the switch and just wire it up based on your post above? Looks pretty easy just a few wires. Any more advice you could give me or any other parts or pins or anything I may need?

K

Kody721

Aug 29, 2022
Tampa Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just looked for connectors and I can't find any unless they are really hidden good... Lol

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
yes - just buy the used takeoffs from eBay and the PCM is already programmed, just waiting for a few signals

search PCM\ECM connectors, also recommend to search youtube on same subject, all the tricks of the trade available, I added the paddles to my buddies a few years back, not so difficult after youtube training on the connectors...

advertisement