P1000 A- Arm Guards and Snow

Welshman

Welshman

May 12, 2017
Malad, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So we got our first snow today. Around 6 inches. Took the Pioneer for a ride and it was a blast.
I'm running the S&S front and rear a arm guards and they just completely pack full of snow.
Any of you guys that have had a1000 for a year or two have any issue with this when running in snow?
I'm thinking I need to take them off for winter. Afraid it's going to damage the boots.

Thanks

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So we got our first snow today. Around 6 inches. Took the Pioneer for a ride and it was a blast.
I'm running the S&S front and rear a arm guards and they just completely pack full of snow.
Any of you guys that have had a1000 for a year or two have any issue with this when running in snow?
I'm thinking I need to take them off for winter. Afraid it's going to damage the boots.

Thanks
Your right on about that. It will build up ice and eat the boots up

Reactions: Welshman and JTW
Welshman

Welshman

May 12, 2017
Malad, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Plumber 32 and JTW for confirming what I thought was the right idea. Pulled them off this afternoon for the winter.
Think I'll drill some large holes in them for clean out before I put them back on.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
J

JTW

Thanks Plumber 32 and JTW for confirming what I thought was the right idea. Pulled them off this afternoon for the winter.
Think I'll drill some large holes in them for clean out before I put them back on.
That’s what what I’ll do if I put mine back on!

Reactions: Welshman
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks

Ive torn 3-4 boots with guards and another 3-4 with out guards. I’ll keep them off as I’ve had mud and rocks Pack in there and rear them. I can see how snow and ice would do the same.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I try to stay out of mud but I rarely avoid the hard way to traverse large obstacles so I'll keep my a-arm guards. I also think the transition from my a-arm guards to my skid plate keeps sticks out of the foot well area and that's more important to me than digging a little mud away from the CVs during the lunch break

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I try to stay out of mud but I rarely avoid the hard way to traverse large obstacles so I'll keep my a-arm guards. I also think the transition from my a-arm guards to my skid plate keeps sticks out of the foot well area and that's more important to me than digging a little mud away from the CVs during the lunch break

That’s a good point. Some guys truly need the guards due to the area and style of riding. For me they didn’t seem to stop the sticks. Plus I’ve got 1/4” UHMW wheel well liners to stop the sticks. The stock A-arms need all the help they can get with protection too. The aftermarket SATV and CATVOS are quite a bit stronger. I just touch up the paint with rustoluem rattle can.

I’d like to try some CV boot socks but I don’t think there’s enough room with the arched arms. The boots already slightly touch the lower arms so there’s no room for a wrap protector.