501c3 status

T

thatguy2

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am trying to push for a 501c3 arm for our fire department to allow access to grants we currently can not get. I reached out to local CPAs and they told us everybody is short staffed and they would not be interested in taking it on. I am trying to figure out how to proceed on our own.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am trying to push for a 501c3 arm for our fire department to allow access to grants we currently can not get. I reached out to local CPAs and they told us everybody is short staffed and they would not be interested in taking it on. I am trying to figure out how to proceed on our own.
Can you elaborate to what 501c3 arm is for those in Reo Linda please? Might help you a bit more.

Reactions: ChadD and KyGal83
T

thatguy2

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you elaborate to what 501c3 arm is for those in Reo Linda please? Might help you a bit more.
Our fire department itself can not be a 501c3. However many will have a 501c3 to support them. A neighboring department has one that is Rural Fire District #1 Equipment account.

Reactions: ChadD and KyGal83
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
google is my friend -

A 501 (c) (3) organization is a nonprofit that can accept tax-deductible donations and is exempt from federal income tax. Learn about the eligibility criteria, benefits, and drawbacks of this tax categ…

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Our fire department itself can not be a 501c3. However many will have a 501c3 to support them. A neighboring department has one that is Rural Fire District #1 Equipment account.
Might I be bold enough to encourage you to reach out to that neighboring department and ask them for any advice? Been there, done that is typically pretty solid advice.

Reactions: ChadD
KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I am an accountant.. The next month is a very busy time for all accountants. It is the final push of returns. But Feel free to reach out. I might be able to help you, if not I can guide you in the right direction. I am out of the office today… but PM me and I can get you my number.

Please note once applied for a 501c3 status can take as long 3-9 months to be approved.

Last edited:
T

thatguy2

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Might I be bold enough to encourage you to reach out to that neighboring department and ask them for any advice? Been there, done that is typically pretty solid advice.
I did. The current chief isn't sure how to set one up. He is willing to help once it is up and running to make sure we remain in compliance. The folks that started theirs are long gone.

Reactions: Scoop
KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I did. The current chief isn't sure how to set one up. He is willing to help once it is up and running to make sure we remain in compliance. The folks that started theirs are long gone.

There is a lot you can do to help yourself to get started.. a lot of it is fact finding. Download the application here:

Here is also some addition steps to follow:

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
google is my friend -

A 501 (c) (3) organization is a nonprofit that can accept tax-deductible donations and is exempt from federal income tax. Learn about the eligibility criteria, benefits, and drawbacks of this tax categ…
Thanks, usually I use DuckGo not Commieoogle lol. I was at work taking a quick brake. Was thinking about searching it but a customer was wondering around in the utility room I was in so I asked it cuz As you can see, I havent been on since and I would have most certainly would have forgot to check. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: CID
T

thatguy2

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The fire board wants us to get this, so they are going to reach out to some people to try and get me help. They didn't know anybody off hand. It will be interesting.

Reactions: CID