P500 500/520: Bring Along with RV

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Hey All,

So here is my dilemma. Ford F-150 Crew Cab, 22’ Bumper-Pull RV Trailer, P520 UTV:
  • Although the UTV can get into the bed of the truck; problem is you are unable to close the tailgate to clear the RV Trailer electric jack assembly
  • I do have an trailer, but concerned about the double towing and navigating the Unitas camping sites
  • Although I have found some options; they are quite pricey ($5K+) such as the swivel trailer for RVs and UTV Bed Racks for Trucks
Are there any other ideas/options? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: rtn001
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey All,

So here is my dilemma. Ford F-150 Crew Cab, 22’ Bumper-Pull RV Trailer, P520 UTV:
  • Although the UTV can get into the bed of the truck; problem is you are unable to close the tailgate to clear the RV Trailer electric jack assembly
  • I do have an trailer, but concerned about the double towing and navigating the Unitas camping sites
  • Although I have found some options; they are quite pricey ($5K+) such as the swivel trailer for RVs and UTV Bed Racks for Trucks
Remove the tail gate for the trip. (Of course that would require an 8' bed)

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Make sure if its in the bed of the truck when you turn it and the tail gate don't hit the trailer. A 520 will not fit length wise in my 2001 gmc long box unless I was to take the bumper off. I don't like to load on tailgate. Maybe you should look at like a one foot extension for your your trailer hitch that would be the cheapest thing

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
EXTEND the Tung.
Doesn't Effect Weight Distribution on Tow Vehicle.
Weight in the Trailer can & should be shifted as Needed to adjust tung Weight.

I have Extended the TUNG on several Bumper Pull Horse Trailers to be pulled by Trucks with in box Camper sticking out behind the box.
Electric brakes " simple " --Surge Brakes required more effort & can be done.
I Did the Extention for guy that put Clown Car ( Model - T ) in the front & 2 Horses in rear on Surge Brakes Trailer.
Done properly to Handle the Weight.
The most economical & Safest method to solve the delima.
The Horse enthusiasts wanted to get away of having to take 2 vehicles ( 1 tow camper -- 1 tow Horses )

K

Kkevin

Feb 2, 2021
Washington
Ownership

1. 500
I think I’d remove the bumper. It’s only four bolts that could be removed in less than two minutes. That is if you have an 8’ bed

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If the tail gate only needs a few inches to clear, look at DG tailgate supports for an angled support. I have the all three lengths set
. 9D06B491 CE83 4801 B184 3AFBCBF9E747

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks all, i never considered the hitch extension. Because of the trailer, i have the electric brakes and whatnot. I guess that is the next thing i need to do is measure the bed with regards to the 520.

Reactions: rtn001 and trigger
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Hey All,

Are there any other ideas/options? Thanks

Hey All,

Check out your payload capacity. Sticker on your door jam, I would think even if it was 1600lb payload, with a 520 of roughly 1100lbs plus your trailer tongue weight of a 22ft bumper pull trailer with full propane tanks battery and extras not even including gear weight and passengers in the truck your prolly over weight. Remember tongue weight of loaded camper is a part of of your payload capacity. If something goes sideways on your journey and your insurance company investigates you are liable. I own a half ton as well and did alot of research on this subject. My truck towing capacity is 10850 lbs, that number is misleading. Go by payload of truck on sticker door jam, and you will be legal. Half tons are capable, however, payload is their weak point.

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
The 1/2 ton pickups just run outta payload fast.

Tongue extensions have a negative capacity rating too.

Ive towed doubles quite a bit, but never with the first trailer as a bumper pull. If the trips are going to be short (less than a 1hr away) I’d tow the 520 on a trailer behind the camper with a sway bar on it (it will need it) and a rear view RV camera and call it a day. Take your time and the such. This is of course if your State allows it. Some allow doubles. And some of those only allow the first trailer to be a fiver or gooseneck.

In my area it’s not uncommon to see boats behind RVs at all.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Thanks all, i never considered the hitch extension. Because of the trailer, i have the electric brakes and whatnot. I guess that is the next thing i need to do is measure the bed with regards to the 520.
I can say with my gmc I liked having about 75lb in my air bags with the 520 in the back. My lance 12 ft truck camper gets about 100lbs. The thing about weight is check your truck. In oregon with regular plates you are only allowed 16,000 lbs total setup. Then check your trucks payload front and rear. Do some research on your trucks rear axle. My AAM 14 bolt is good for 10,500 lbs on its own. Next is your tires. Make sure they can take the load also. My toyo m55 are good for 3,100 lbs each. With my camper on my rear axle is about 3,000 lbs. And camper ,enclosed trailer and 4 quads my total was 15,900.

I do recommend air bags for the truck. Especially if you go with the hitch extension.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I am planning on buying an 18" WD shank. It'll get me another 6" away from the camper and allow the jack to be operated with the tailgate down without comprising the tongue weight like extenders. My 3/4 ton has a standard 6.5' bed, so I have to use the tailgate down for the P500. I bought the DG manufacturing support bars. I'm going to invest in some longer, stronger ramps so I can load in reverse, if needed. Also, if I must, I can unhook the propane for the ride, then I should be golden. Good luck!

Here is what my clearance looks like before these changes.
IMG 20200812 205147

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
All good points; appreciate all of your help in this. With that said, I wonder if I should pull it behind the RV. The state (UT) allows it and i actually do have a rear camera on my RV, I am just uncomfortable with the tbought of double towing.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
You gonna be able to turn without crushing your tailgate?

Reactions: rtn001 and Fischer
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I am planning on buying an 18" WD shank. It'll get me another 6" away from the camper and allow the jack to be operated with the tailgate down without comprising the tongue weight like extenders. My 3/4 ton has a standard 6.5' bed, so I have to use the tailgate down for the P500. I bought the DG manufacturing support bars. I'm going to invest in some longer, stronger ramps so I can load in reverse, if needed. Also, if I must, I can unhook the propane for the ride, then I should be golden. Good luck!

Here is what my clearance looks like before these changes.
All good points; appreciate all of your help in this. With that said, I wonder if I should pull it behind the RV. The state (UT) allows it and i actually do have a rear camera on my RV, I am just uncomfortable with the tbought of double towing.
For sure. The rear trailer might sway and it might not. Test it out please do, and let us know, especially for us half ton folks. Just be aware of the payload limits. Now that you know try it out , test the limits, becareful, you will be OK. You might be the one to give us more confidence in our half tons! Could be a game changer for half tons for all that are in the same situation that don't have the funds to upgrade to 3/4 tons. Great post. Keep us informed.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hey All,

With a proper 24" hitch extension you can leave your tailgate down with the SXS in the bed,, and tow up to 8,000 lbs. This is one of the better units available for a 2" receiver hitch, but requires a dual 2" receiver as well, both would be about $1,000.

The above is just an example, would have to get truck model specific dual receiver.

Screenshot 20210313 205026 Chrome

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
You gonna be able to turn without crushing your tailgate?
I hope so. 😅 I know I won't be able to very sharp turns, but that is generally avoided anyways.

I can pull triple here in Idaho, but that makes the wife too nervous...

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
I hope so. 😅 I know I won't be able to very sharp turns, but that is generally avoided anyways.

I can pull triple here in Idaho, but that makes the wife too nervous...
Just build some ramps to put against the front of the bed and drive up them so your front tires are cab high or so then close tailgate.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Without that extension @JACKAL posted and get some air bags on that truck ,you either need to buy a truck with an 8’ bed or a new RV aka toyhauler. Also, i know at least in my state you cant pull a double double unless you have a 5thwheel not a travel trailer, and you also have to watch your length.

advertisement