3D Printers

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone in the forum have experience using a 3D printer? I check in at woot.com on a pretty regular basis (fair warning the deals aren't what they used to be, but once in a while there's still something decent to be had), and this morning they were advertising a printer that had pretty good reviews.

I know that you are going to be limited to things that you trust to plastic, but my understanding is that the possibilities are pretty much endless with these things. Maybe a cheaper entry into minor fab work for someone with limited tools/resources/space and ability to work with metal? I've got to think custom brackets, cupholders, light mounts, etc could be made from a dense plastic right? Interested to hear if anyone has experience with this, or if any of the resident master fabricators have thoughts???

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone in the forum have experience using a 3D printer? I check in at woot.com on a pretty regular basis (fair warning the deals aren't what they used to be, but once in a while there's still something decent to be had), and this morning they were advertising a printer that had pretty good reviews.

I know that you are going to be limited to things that you trust to plastic, but my understanding is that the possibilities are pretty much endless with these things. Maybe a cheaper entry into minor fab work for someone with limited tools/resources/space and ability to work with metal? I've got to think custom brackets, cupholders, light mounts, etc could be made from a dense plastic right? Interested to hear if anyone has experience with this, or if any of the resident master fabricators have thoughts???
There is a member on here that works with one at his job. He made a bunch of door bushings with it. @Montecresto will remember his name.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Woooof. That's a pretty penny @Chooglin. Though it without take too many parts to pay for itself I suppose.

@sharp that was the first thing that came to mind: bushings. I think I have a set coming but I could see it for that, maybe some custom LED pod mounts, cup holders, etc. Prolly easier just to buy but I get a kick out of doing somethings myself.

Reactions: sharp