DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is everyone’s opinion on the best route to take for those who have either or both?

Reactions: Papaandhistoys
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Really depends on what/how you ride. The 30" tires alone give a much better ride with the stock shocks and the A-Arm's are a great upgrade regardless. You will benefit from the upgraded shocks either way too. I'd try to ride in a machine with the aftermarket shocks you intend to buy before spending the money. Some people expect sport machine comfort out of a 6" travel shock, so it's good to know what you're getting into.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What is everyone’s opinion on the best route to take for those who have either or both?
This is really a 4 part question and I agree with @Adam490. All depends on where, how aggressively you ride and how much you want to spend. Have you ever busted a front stock size 8 ply tire? If the answer is no, you may not need rims, just the 28 inch tires and think about a shock up grade, depending on budget, if you have busted 3 or more stock front sized tires, rims may be in order and tires, the wider rims give you the option of running wider tires up front, thus more cushion from rocks and less side wall splits. I went stupid and have rims, 30 inch tires, a-arms and shocks, thus the 4 part question remark. I wouldn't do it again, $$$$$$$$. If I had it to do over again, 8 Ply 28 inch tires and shocks. My 2.5 cents?

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is really a 4 part question and I agree with @Adam490. All depends on where, how aggressively you ride and how much you want to spend. Have you ever busted a front stock size 8 ply tire? If the answer is no, you may not need rims, just the 28 inch tires and think about a shock up grade, depending on budget, if you have busted 3 or more stock front sized tires, rims may be in order and tires, the wider rims give you the option of running wider tires up front, thus more cushion from rocks and less side wall splits. I went stupid and have rims, 30 inch tires, a-arms and shocks, thus the 4 part question remark. I wouldn't do it again, $$$$$$$$. If I had it to do over again, 8 Ply 28 inch tires and shocks. My 2.5 cents?

I’ve only had it in 1 even remotely challenging situation so far and it handled it ok with just a little pucker. The majority of our recreational riding (non farm/hunting use) will be done at Rush Outdoors and Hatfield McCoy since they are very close, with a trip to RRB or something similar a few times a year. Maybe I’ll know more after our Hatfield McCoy trip this weekend but I want to be ready for the RRB trip at the end of the month.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’ve only had it in 1 even remotely challenging situation so far and it handled it ok with just a little pucker. The majority of our recreational riding (non farm/hunting use) will be done at Rush Outdoors and Hatfield McCoy since they are very close, with a trip to RRB or something similar a few times a year. Maybe I’ll know more after our Hatfield McCoy trip this weekend but I want to be ready for the RRB trip at the end of the month.
You'll be fine, I would just wait till you need to replace something and then upgrade as needed.
My 2 cents

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did RRB with all stock shocks and the factory big horns, and did fine, although I was not trying to rock climb and find the hardest trail possible, I was more concerned with the full skid plate to protect under the buggy. I just upgraded to 28” ripsaws and Beadlock wheels and I can tell a difference in how it rides just around the house but the trail will tell me more. Shocks are definitely on my list to though I guess if you can do both do it, you won’t regret it.
Also, I learned why they call them shocks when I started pricing them...😧

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have good skids installed already and I removed the sway bar. I also added a winch and have working on my wiring harness stuff when I feel like it lol.
Once u feel the ft end bottom out then consider,replacing the ft shocks.Possibly Elka stage 3s or greater .Be honest w the amount of weight u have added,everything past stock.roof skid plates winch ,all ur friends ,cooler w beverages,spare tire ,u get the idea.They will build a shock w the proper springs.If you never push ur machine to where it bottoms out then u do not need shock upgrades.

advertisement
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once u feel the ft end bottom out then consider,replacing the ft shocks.Possibly Elka stage 3s or greater .Be honest w the amount of weight u have added,everything past stock.roof skid plates winch ,all ur friends ,cooler w beverages,spare tire ,u get the idea.They will build a shock w the proper springs.If you never push ur machine to where it bottoms out then u do not need shock upgrades.
The bottom line is the pioneer 1000s are very capable machines.However they are not sport sxs s.So enjoy them for what they are!

R

rickoshea

i just did my shocks and will be upgrading my tires to 28's when my stock bighorns come off and the tracks go on for the winter.i've been playing with the shock settings over the last week or so.i can't believe the difference over stock shocks and the range of settings for the Elkas.the difference between full soft to full stiff is incredible.i don't see the need to scrap the sway bar now.i should have done them the day i got the machine.if you don't have clearance issues right now,do your shocks and tires.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
i just did my shocks and will be upgrading my tires to 28's when my stock bighorns come off and the tracks go on for the winter.i've been playing with the shock settings over the last week or so.i can't believe the difference over stock shocks and the range of settings for the Elkas.the difference between full soft to full stiff is incredible.i don't see the need to scrap the sway bar now.i should have done them the day i got the machine.if you don't have clearance issues right now,do your shocks and tires.
You got the 3's? I've got the 5's and really like the rebound adjustment. In the rocks I run the compression pretty light and the rebound quick, getting ready for the next compression stroke. In sand whoops the rebound would be set slower to prevent bucking.

R

rickoshea

You got the 3's? I've got the 5's and really like the rebound adjustment. In the rocks I run the compression pretty light and the rebound quick, getting ready for the next compression stroke. In sand whoops the rebound would be set slower to prevent bucking.
i'd like to have the rebound adjustment now that i have the 3's.if i'd have known i probably would have gone for the 4's or 5's.however the 3's have really woken up my ride.i think i'm going to start breaking stuff now.i can really carry speed through the trails where i couldn't before.i still haven't bottomed out in a g out yet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
i'd like to have the rebound adjustment now that i have the 3's.if i'd have known i probably would have gone for the 4's or 5's.however the 3's have really woken up my ride.i think i'm going to start breaking stuff now.i can really carry speed through the trails where i couldn't before.i still haven't bottomed out in a g out yet.
You should bottom out on your hardest hits that you usually encounter or your not using the full shock stroke, well that would be like having a long pecker and ?????????????????????

Reactions: Backwoods
DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it happened. On the outlaw trails at Hatfield McCoy I bottomed out my front shocks 3-4 times every time I was looking to see if I messed up a wheel or tire but they survived. I have not adjusted the tire pressure at all yet though and I am running whatever the dealership put in there. Again though I was surprised at how it just went anywhere I wanted with no real problem. Large rocks, ruts, hill climbs, and combinations of all of those nothing stopped it when it was in low.