P1000 2017 P1000-5 expected release day?

P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody have any idea when they are expected to release these things? For 3 weeks now I've been in contact with Abernathy's who expected them October 1st. Still nothing. I see a dealer in Florida is advertising 2017's for sale, but has no info on them at all. When I asked Abernathy's a couple days ago, they still did not have any 2017 info.

I sold my Can-Am and am sitting here with the money literally burning a whole in my pocket! :) I'd just hate to buy a 2016 only to have a 2017 come out a week later with some really nice to have improvements. ;)

Reactions: JTW
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Last unsubstantiated rumor I heard was that they would "announce" the 2017 in November. That is just to announce the new model, nothing on when it is going to release to be sold.

I think they have/had a problem, they are working on a design/manufacturing solution and are delaying until they get it "right".

Of course, I am a little suspicious of their "right" since they would obviously be using the same testing facilities and methods to qualify the "fix" as they used to design the original.

I figure when the other rumored design change mentioned on this forum for the current clutch comes to fruition, if it does, you will also hear about the release date of the 2017.

Don't bother calling Abernathy to ask. They don't know and the sales guys that you will talk to only know what is on that sheet of paper they carry around with them with the prices unless they personally own the unit. Since all of them I know own Polaris, they don't know much about the Honda's and even less about Yamaha. They consider Honda's a joke and a necessary evil since Tootie's Grandfather started as a Honda dealer way back when.

They will just tell you something to get you to call back and maybe make a sale and then laugh at you after you hang up depending on what questions you asked. They will be next to impossible to beat on price though.

If you have really made your decision that you want a P1000-5, I would go ahead and get one unless you are prepared to wait for while.

Out of curiosity, what Can-Am did you get rid of?

Reactions: pct
P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just sold a Maverick 1000R XXC. It was a fun unit, but the way I was using it most of the time (slow trails and commuting between my properties as a street legal machine) I hated the fact that the motor would be spinning 5500-6000rpm yet I was driving 20 mph or less. I had a Can Am Commander 1000 when they first came out, I really liked the machine but the constant whining / screaming from what I believe they finally figured out was the rear differential absolutely drove me nuts! It was loud enough and at a pitch high enough it would literally give me a head ache, not to mention you had to yell to talk to your passenger. I almost bought a new Can Am Defender but then I really thought about the fact I wasn't too happy with my other two Can Am SxS's. I tried to buy a Polaris Northstar with the fully enclosed cab and A/C but I couldn't find a dealer who actually had one. Then I was in Vegas and sitting in front of the Costco was a 1000-5 Deluxe, I probably spent an hour looking at it and decided that's what I wanted.

Honestly, it was Abernathy's who suggested I wait for a 2017 since they should be out so soon, even though they obviously have 2016's sitting in their showroom. I live in Montana but will be in Missouri for Thanksgiving, I'm hoping they will have a 2017 by then and I can just hop over and pick it up, instead of making a special trip. They are about $3,500 cheaper than my local dealers, so that is well worth the drive. For $1,000 or less, I'd buy local.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I live down the road from them and my brother is pretty good friends with some guys that work there and I manned some gun shows for them when they used to have a Class III dealership there. I usually know more about the units than they do when I go up there to talk to them. At least I did about the Wolverine and the Pioneer 1000 when I was looking at them and eventually bought mine :)

Who have you been talking to? Josh or Aaron will usually know more than the other guys although both are Polaris owners. ;)

They are in the top five highest volume Honda dealers in the US (I think 2nd but I don't remember) so if they will be released by then, they will probably have one of them. If they are telling you to wait, I would. Especially since you are going to be here in Thanksgiving anyway. There are definitely some improvements that need to be made. Particularly with the air intake and the clutch.

The Defender was on my short list and I often wonder if I would have been happier with a Defender 10XT it but reading about and talking to people with Commanders turned me off to them. Being that I had only ever owned Honda, I went with the P1000. After spending an hour today trying to get my mode select to work right, again (how it gets out of adjustment sitting in the garage I don't know), I often wonder.:mad:

I would wait and call them again towards the middle of November and if it doesn't look like they will have one by the time you are going to be down, you can just get them to hold you a 2016. If you put down a deposit over the phone they will go out and put a tag on it with your name on it and even put all the accessories you want on it too and have it waiting out front for you when you get there. Try to go on a weekday if at all possible though. WAY easier to get in and out and much quicker on the paperwork.

P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Josh is who I've been talking to. I plan on having the winter kit installed with an enclosed cab and heater, turn signals, and cloth rear doors along with bed liner and floor mats, so it will take them a couple days to install I'd imagine. I know with my luck I'd get impatient and buy a '16 and regret a few weeks later when the '17 came out. However if it looks like a '17 won't be out until some time in '17 then I'll buy one now and probably replace it with an '18 next winter.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Josh is who I've been talking to. I plan on having the winter kit installed with an enclosed cab and heater, turn signals, and cloth rear doors along with bed liner and floor mats, so it will take them a couple days to install I'd imagine. I know with my luck I'd get impatient and buy a '16 and regret a few weeks later when the '17 came out. However if it looks like a '17 won't be out until some time in '17 then I'll buy one now and probably replace it with an '18 next winter.

Since Josh in who you are talking to and he told you to wait, I would do what he says. He is one that won't BS you or tell you something just so you will go away or make you happy. He is a really good and knowledgeable guy. He is also fairly "high up" in the hierarchy there and is usually in the "know" about stuff where some of the other guys are not. He won't lie to you. I trust him.

Ask around here about the cab system. I don't have one but I got the impression that some who got it didn't like it and it wasn't really well thought out, but I have no first hand experience. You may want to ask some of the AK or Canada guys here if a heater is warranted or not with the very warm seat that the 1000 has now.

The full poly bed liner is expensive but it does a very good job at keeping stuff from getting down in the seats. It is molded so well/accurately that you don't have to screw it in and it will stay in place and you can just lift it out and remove it when you want to use the rear seats. I am glad we spent the extra and got it on ours.

Abernathy's has a huge service staff (they are the biggest Polaris dealer in the US after all :)) and they turn stuff around pretty darn quick if they have the parts from Honda. It took several days for them to get the liner since most people don't get it and go for the rubber mat instead. It will also, of course, depend on how many stop sale recalls that Polaris is running at the time as well. At one time they were putting in 60 hrs a week just trying to keep up with that.

Now I don't want to dissuade you from a Honda but if you are looking for a cab system from what I gather the Defender system is extremely nice and very well designed, if expensive. There is a pretty good explanation that a guy on the Defender forum that uses his for working in the winter did. Actually, that is pretty much all the action there is about the Defender out there at all.

I get the impression that the Honda cab system was an afterthought while the Defender seems to have been designed to have one from the outset.

Reactions: JTW
P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well that's really disappointing to hear the Honda cab isn't really up to Honda quality. I did find it a little odd that the Can Am and the Polaris heater controls actually include temperature adjustment and not just an on off switch like the Honda, seems more thought out. I also like the fact that their glass windshields will tip open.

Now I'm second guessing myself again and may just go with a Polaris Ranger 1000 Northstar with the enclosed cab and air conditioning installed at the factory...

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Don't take my word for it. I haven't ever even been in one with a cab. :)

Do some searching here or ask some of the guys that have/had them. I just remember reading that people weren't very happy with them and had leaking, air infiltration problems and seems like something about a velcro strap or something. I just remember from when I was researching looking for anything that was problematic and that showed up.

I don't know if I would go so far as to jump to a Polaris though.:eek:

Of course my very limited experience with Polaris via my brother wasn't very good. The reason he is friends with so many people at Abernathy is because of all the time he spent there with his RZR. :D

I bought 2 Honda ATVs from them before he bought his RZR and they only know me as his brother since I would show up with him sometimes to help him push it on/off the trailer. :rolleyes:

P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, following your advice I did some more research on the cab. Yeah, doesn't appear to be to well engineered, I can't find anyone who says they are impressed with it, most say it's adequate at best and some flat out hate it. Certainly not up to the quality standards I expected from Honda. I looked some more at the Can Am Defender XT Cab, seems to be very well engineered and the few reviews I could find were very positive. Since having a nice, relatively air tight reasonably quiet, warm in the winter cab is one of my primary concerns, looks like I will be steering away from the Honda. If I want to be out in the elements having fun, I'll ride my Outlander Max 1000, or if I really wanna go nuts, I'll hop on the Renegade 1000 xxc. My purpose for the side by side truly will be for comfort, and I don't want to "settle"

I haven't seen a Defender XT Cab in person yet, I'm absolutely going to look at one in person now before I make my decision, but I'm certainly leaning that direction.

Now if I can find a dealer who realizes "MSRP + freight and I'll wave the setup" really isn't much of a deal, LOL

Reactions: Deltamud
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, following your advice I did some more research on the cab. Yeah, doesn't appear to be to well engineered, I can't find anyone who says they are impressed with it, most say it's adequate at best and some flat out hate it. Certainly not up to the quality standards I expected from Honda. I looked some more at the Can Am Defender XT Cab, seems to be very well engineered and the few reviews I could find were very positive. Since having a nice, relatively air tight reasonably quiet, warm in the winter cab is one of my primary concerns, looks like I will be steering away from the Honda. If I want to be out in the elements having fun, I'll ride my Outlander Max 1000, or if I really wanna go nuts, I'll hop on the Renegade 1000 xxc. My purpose for the side by side truly will be for comfort, and I don't want to "settle"

I haven't seen a Defender XT Cab in person yet, I'm absolutely going to look at one in person now before I make my decision, but I'm certainly leaning that direction.

Now if I can find a dealer who realizes "MSRP + freight and I'll wave the setup" really isn't much of a deal, LOL

At the risk of further lowering my reputation on this forum. If that is what you are looking for, you probably shouldn't go with a Pioneer as it is set up right now.

On the Defender Forum (actually it is on the Commander forum), look for posts by Arly on a Working Machine. He has a pretty good review and he uses the cab unit on his job maintaining cross country ski trails. He goes into details about the cab. You could probably join there as well and really get the low down on the cab for use in snowy conditions. From what I remember, he liked the hard cab doors but hated the soft doors or something to that effect.

As to comfort, I did find the Defender to have a much more comfortable seat than the Pioneer and it was quieter at slow speeds in low range and not as hot. There were other things about it that I didn't like but I think you should at least give it a fair shake before making your final decisions.

advertisement
P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to my local dealer's website, they have a Defender XT 10 Cab in stock, I'm gonna go look at it first thing Monday morning. I'd be interested to hear what you didn't like about it?

Reactions: LaVell
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here is a link to some questions I asked and sort of a mini-review:

Can Am Defender
http://hondasxs.com/threads/can-am-defender.5967/#post-74239
I have read that the shifting problem has been improved on the 2017 models.

Keep in mind that I have never owned a CVT anything before, so that might color my review some. I do have some experience with my brother's old Polaris RZR but other than that, everything has been Honda. So the way it "feels" may be an artifact of a CVT while I am used to a different transmission. (Honda Rincon and Recon)

There is also a pretty good video on Youtube by Ostacruiser where he is using the Defender in muskeg which is something several people here have complained about the Pioneer's performance in. The Defender doesn't seem to have an issue in it and it also gets run through water there is no way that you would take a factory Pioneer through.

This kind of makes me wonder if I should have gone with the Defender instead.

P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
WOW, so I went and looked at a Defender XT 10 Cab today, and the same dealer also had a used 2016 Pioneer 1000 with the hard cab installed so I was able to do a direct apples to apples comparison. There basically is no comparison. The Honda looks like just tossed some crap on there and tried to make it half assed fit. Gaps everywhere, doesn't really look that great, the dump box hits the rear window when you dump it... All in all very, very disappointed, certainly not the "Honda quality" I was expecting. The heater is also a joke. Simply a high low switch and a few vents and that's it?

The Defender cab is noticeably larger, has more leg room, the seats are more comfortable, the flip up of the seats with storage underneath is awsome, and the fold down center armrest is a nice touch. There's WAY more storage for tools, gloves, bottles of water, sun glasses, etc. etc. that always seem to end up needing a spot. The cab is actually finished inside, carpeted headliner already set up to accept a stereo, nice sliding rear window, the doors are more substantial and actually feel like they are sealing when they close. Not too mention the power windows is a nice touch. Certainly cranking the driver's window down while riding is easy, but pretty hard to lower the passenger window when you're by yourself bouncing down a trail. Again, just a nice touch, not a necessity. Another thing that really impressed me is the windshield, it will fold open completely more or less making it like it isn't even there, they said you can ride down the road like that at 50mph if you want to, but what really impressed me is you can lock it in a "cracked open" position of about 3" or so allowing some nice airflow, but yet still have the protection of the full window. We road it in the rain and with the front window cracked and the rear slider open we had a nice cooling airflow going thru the cab, but didn't get wet at all. Honda should really take note of that, especially given the "seat heat" situation I'm reading about. The Defender's motor is under the bed, so there is no heat radiating up thru the seats, obviously since you can fold up the seats if you like. The heater on the Defender is also light years ahead of the Honda, it's just like what you would expect in a car, full temperature control, 5 position fan setting, actual windshield defroster vents, side vents for defogging the side windows, regular vents blowing on you, and vents blowing on the floor for your feet.

For my purposes it's absolutely hands down the Defender, comparing the cab, which is the whole reason I'm buying a side by side, to me would be like comparing the difference in a 1960 base model Chevy pickup and a new 2016 Chevy Silverado. Like I said, when I want to "enjoy the outdoors" I'll just hop on one of my four wheelers.

I'd like to thank you again for encouraging me to check out a Defender. :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Glad I could help.

I hate to drive business away from Honda and Josh but based on your requirements, Honda just won't cut it right now and Honda needs to step up their game. Can Am stealing business because they have a better quality cab system is part of it.

Just keep and eye out there have been some wiring issues with the cabs reported on the Can Am Defender forum. (Stuff wired backwards on the wiring harness) so make sure you check it all out thoroughly before taking delivery of it.

I am not surprised that you liked the Defender better. My local Can Am dealer had a Pioneer 1000-3 for a while and he wouldn't budge on the price and I asked him why and he told me that he made more profit on the Defenders because of that Honda than he could make on the Honda. Anytime anyone wanted to buy a unit he would ask them to try out the Pioneer first and then he would show them a Defender and a Mule Pro FXT. He said people would always decide that they wanted the Defender or a Mule Pro FXT. That was actually how he wound up with the Pioneer, someone had a Pioneer with a hard top, windshield and hard rear panel and they hated the heat and the noise and got a Kawasaki Mule instead.

The Defender is a very nicely appointed machine. Hopefully it has durability to match but Honda really, really needs to take a look at the Defender and how some simple changes could make for a much nicer experience.

When you get it and do a good shakedown shoot me a PM if you don't mind. I would like to know how it performs for you. Actual driving reviews are very few and far between.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is good info guys, I appreciate the honest opinions. There isn't any bashing or trolling here, just facts.

This kind of info needs to spread to Honda. I agree they need to step it up.

Don't get wrong, I'm a life long Honda guy for good reasons but I want my cake and I want to eat it!

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

P

PwdrExtreme

Oct 1, 2016
Bozeman, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Located a 2016 Defender XT 10 Cab in Michigan for a GREAT price, with the rebate and 3 yr warranty. Works out well as I have to haul my Corvette to Ohio in a couple weeks so it will only be about 150 miles out of the way to swing up and grab it. I'll be using my enclosed trailer for the Vette which will have plenty of room for the Defender as well.

Will report back in a few weeks after I have it home and put a few miles on it.

Also, while on the topic, I stopped at the Polaris dealer. They didn't have a new 2017 with a cab but they did have a 2016 with the cab and heater and such. Still a considerable step above the Honda for fit and finish, but not as nice as the Defender's cab.

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
Hello

I just sold my 2013 Big Red.... Which brings me one step closer into getting into the 1000 Market :) question... what's the cheapest you guys have heard of someone walking out of a dealer with a brand-new P 1000 - 3 with eps? My initial quote have been in the range of $15900....non camo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
Btw...I've heard that 2017 1000's mass production starts in December and there will be a new model:)

Reactions: Hondasxs
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello

I just sold my 2013 Big Red.... Which brings me one step closer into getting into the 1000 Market :) question... what's the cheapest you guys have heard of someone walking out of a dealer with a brand-new P 1000 - 3 with eps? My initial quote have been in the range of $15900....non camo.

Where are you located? That sounds extremely steep for a 3 seat.

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
Just called another dealer, best out the door so far has been just under 15k. Let me know if you know of a better deal....I'm in Ohio. Called dealer in TN.

advertisement