P1000 2017 or 2016?

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After going to a dealer again and really looking at the air intake, I think I will be purchasing a P1000 3 eps. I have gone back and forth between a 700, a 1000, a Can Am Defender and a Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT. I had an opportunity to spend a day in a 1000 3 with 3 full sized men in the exact terrain I will be using the machine and it was perfect. Best I can say is it wasn't even noticable, just quietly went anywhere.
My question is, when will we know, or do we know, if the changes to the 2017 like the dash storage, better clutching, and seat improvements will carry throughout the line or be limited to just the new model? I really don'tlike the new shoulder bar they have added, seems very intrusive, and would prefer the 16 design. If the transmission is truly improved, and the added storage in the dash is included, I think I will wait. Thanks

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Can get a new 16 deluxe for $14,300 here in Mississippi. I have the deluxe and lov it. But you might like the 17 model better. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After going to a dealer again and really looking at the air intake, I think I will be purchasing a P1000 3 eps. I have gone back and forth between a 700, a 1000, a Can Am Defender and a Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT. I had an opportunity to spend a day in a 1000 3 with 3 full sized men in the exact terrain I will be using the machine and it was perfect. Best I can say is it wasn't even noticable, just quietly went anywhere.
My question is, when will we know, or do we know, if the changes to the 2017 like the dash storage, better clutching, and seat improvements will carry throughout the line or be limited to just the new model? I really don'tlike the new shoulder bar they have added, seems very intrusive, and would prefer the 16 design. If the transmission is truly improved, and the added storage in the dash is included, I think I will wait. Thanks

No one knows for sure that the clutch "improvements" will do anything or not. The information seems to suggest that they focused more on the hard shifting than the potential for slipping. If that is truly their focus, it might be even more prone to slipping because just like the difference between "popping the clutch" and easing the clutch on a manual transmission the easing will result in more slip.

Now maybe Honda improved the lockup and the friction material to account for this and maybe they didn't. If they did, I bet the 2016 model could have the ECM reflashed and the new friction material added for less cost than what a new 2017 model will cost when they finally arrive post April 2017.

I don't think the improved dash storage will be in the non-LE model. I bet it uses the same dash as the 2016 model, the LE model has to have a new dash for the i4WD plus, you can buy a lot of extra storage options for the price difference.

Plus, I bet you will be able to buy the thicker seat. I bet they still have the same locking tabs/mechanism and will probably drop right in.

Personally, I would probably buy the 2016 model and save the cash. Especially since it will likely be nearly summer next year before they become more widely available. I want to ride NOW! :)

J

JTW

I waited for the same reasons as you.. I wanted to make sure the 17 wouldn't have features I wanted. There are a few items I'd prefer but I don't see there being enough difference to justify the potential price increase. Not to mention I waited for a 17 p500.. it was supposed to be in a month and a half before our big ride... I ended up with it the night before we were leaving! I have zero faith in early Honda release dates! However. You might want to consider a 2016 1000-5 for the added option of two more seats..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wow that's a great price on the 16 curious how much lower it may get with new intro?

Reactions: drfubar and JTW
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Me too.. I've got to do it all over again and I know what it cost! Lol

But...you ha machine to place stuff onto. See you get better every time

Reactions: JTW
Peking_Duck

Peking_Duck

Jul 30, 2016
Clifton Forge, Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No one knows for sure that the clutch "improvements" will do anything or not. The information seems to suggest that they focused more on the hard shifting than the potential for slipping. If that is truly their focus, it might be even more prone to slipping because just like the difference between "popping the clutch" and easing the clutch on a manual transmission the easing will result in more slip.

Now maybe Honda improved the lockup and the friction material to account for this and maybe they didn't. If they did, I bet the 2016 model could have the ECM reflashed and the new friction material added for less cost than what a new 2017 model will cost when they finally arrive post April 2017.

I don't think the improved dash storage will be in the non-LE model. I bet it uses the same dash as the 2016 model, the LE model has to have a new dash for the i4WD plus, you can buy a lot of extra storage options for the price difference.

Plus, I bet you will be able to buy the thicker seat. I bet they still have the same locking tabs/mechanism and will probably drop right in.

Personally, I would probably buy the 2016 model and save the cash. Especially since it will likely be nearly summer next year before they become more widely available. I want to ride NOW! :)

Couldn't agree more with crow hunter...I like the locking diffs on my 16....

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree on the diff lock. I wouldnt have any other design. The transmission clutching and engagement is the issue which is different on the 17. I do not want the super fancy red springs model, just a base eps. I would like to know about the dash, if it will be carried throughout the line?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

I agree on the diff lock. I wouldnt have any other design. The transmission clutching and engagement is the issue which is different on the 17. I do not want the super fancy red springs model, just a base eps. I would like to know about the dash, if it will be carried throughout the line?
From the info we've been given thus far.. No it will not. That being said... we haven't seen the standard 17 pics.. so who knows? But given that we haven't.. I think that also leads me to believe they'll look the same as the 16 with a slightly thicker seat and most likely just a computer update on the clutches. I honestly don't understand what the significance is of the reverse memory function.
Oh.. and all new 17 and newer models will have the updateds safety features. Higher rops.. drivers seat belt won't be floppy but rather always protruding and solid.. and it won't go above 15mph unless the seat belt is fastened.. (with that said.. all the new safety features can be retroverted to the 16s features with realative ease.)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The memory function is actually a very welcomed item to many. When you're in sport or manual and shift to reverse it currently cancels that mode and goes back to auto. if say plowing in manual its frustrating to keep going back into manual each time you back up. The 17 will "remember " what you had selected. Not a big deal to some but was a simple programming change that many will like.
I may be wrong but I don't see the dash being carried across the line because of the gear selection area and there would have to be another dash designed but hopefully so both lines get the cool storage.

Last edited:
J

JTW

The memory function is actually a very welcomed item to many. When you're in sport or manual and shift to reverse it currently cancels that mode and goes back to auto. if say plowing in manual its frustrating to keep going back into manual each time you back up. The 17 will "remember " what you had selected. Not a big deal to some but was a simple programming change that many will like.
I may be wrong but I don't see the dash being carried across the line because of the gear selection area and there would have to be another dash designed but hopefully so both lines get the cool storage.

Now that makes sense.. I couldn't figure what that change actually meant..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't agree with all the upgrades yet but they did listen to us in many things that was one. I'd honestly love that we've been in manual a lot more in the trails so it annoys me more.

J

JTW

I don't agree with all the upgrades yet but they did listen to us in many things that was one. I'd honestly love that we've been in manual a lot more in the trails so it annoys me more.

Wonder if that will or could be a dealer reflashing fix?

advertisement