P1000 2016 pioneer 1000 alignment issues !

P

PeeWee

Dec 27, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought new pioneer 1000, first service and checkup noticed front tires excessive wear on inside of both tires. checked tow and alignment were correct, however camber was way out, upon further inspection found no camber ajustment. also intended to correct by raising shock tortion, and on inspection learned that they have no adjustment either, Now I have become very dissapointed, from what I have researched, it requires new a arms to correct, 49 hrs on unit and front tires are slick on inside. suprising the rear tires still look new, keeping in mind this unit is babied. anyone else had this trouble? or did I get a lemon.

Reactions: Smitty335
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Bought new pioneer 1000, first service and checkup noticed front tires excessive wear on inside of both tires. checked tow and alignment were correct, however camber was way out, upon further inspection found no camber ajustment. also intended to correct by raising shock tortion, and on inspection learned that they have no adjustment either, Now I have become very dissapointed, from what I have researched, it requires new a arms to correct, 49 hrs on unit and front tires are slick on inside. suprising the rear tires still look new, keeping in mind this unit is babied. anyone else had this trouble? or did I get a lemon.
All of them seem very towed out and most dealers aren't adjusting it. That's the number 1 killer of tires not all the other stuff. Adjust that and you won't wear out tires. Easy to do at home

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Welcome to the forum, we are glad you joined.

About the tire wear, I agree with the above post that the toe is probably way out. Unfortunately it happens to be a common issue.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a pic you can post?

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think my alignment is screwed up as well. It's not wearing tires, but it wanders all over on hardpack or snow. Going to take mine into our local alignment shop and have them set it to 02 civic specs per another member.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think my alignment is screwed up as well. It's not wearing tires, but it wanders all over on hardpack or snow. Going to take mine into our local alignment shop and have them set it to 02 civic specs per another member.
Mine wandered a bit; checked it and it was toed out over an inch. Got it to about 1/8" toe-in and it's much better now.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine wandered a bit; checked it and it was toed out over an inch. Got it to about 1/8" toe-in and it's much better now.

That's exactly what you want and seems that amount off is what most seem to be off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: moparornocar
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are you sure toe in is right, specs are very lose on toe in settings. Camber is a whole another story, there is no adjustment. I believe that toe in is way off. Do you ride a lot of pavement?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All of them seem very towed out and most dealers aren't adjusting it. That's the number 1 killer of tires not all the other stuff. Adjust that and you won't wear out tires. Easy to do at home
Do you center line and adjust from there. The Service manual has a real lame procedure, from my perspective?

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do you center line and adjust from there. The Service manual has a real lame procedure, from my perspective?
Yea I'm talking to my self. Self, if the toe in/out was way out / out would it it make the front hunker down and wear in insides of the tires on pavement?

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Let me know how this goes with the shop and how they do and how they react to your request. I was thinking on doing the same thing.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine was over 3/4" toed out from the dealer. I set it to 1/8" toed in and it's fine. IMO this a very simple suspension and there is no point in trying to make it more than it is.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine was over 3/4" toed out from the dealer. I set it to 1/8" toed in and it's fine. IMO this a very simple suspension and there is no point in trying to make it more than it is.
I agree. Even being brought in it's just really the tow that's concerning.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
On this application precision isn't as important as some applications, a neat do it your self trick is to jack up your tire and rotate it while holding something sharp against it like a screw in a 2x4 to scratch a precise ring on the outside of the tire this give you the widest point possible to measure too and if you are using a tape measure it is easier to read then holding it up to the rim. :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On this application precision isn't as important as some applications, a neat do it your self trick is to jack up your tire and rotate it while holding something sharp against it like a screw in a 2x4 to scratch a precise ring on the outside of the tire this give you the widest point possible to measure too and if you are using a tape measure it is easier to read then holding it up to the rim. :)
As long as you drop it back down and roll it a little to let the suspension sag as it normally would before alignment. I know you do that but bringing it up for others so it's not aligned in the air

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
As long as you drop it back down and roll it a little to let the suspension sag as it normally would before alignment. I know you do that but bringing it up for others so it's not aligned in the air

Thanks for pointing that out CP.
I also might add you want to mark your measuring points horizontally on the tire to so you always go back to the same reference point with out getting a different slant in your measuring tape.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for pointing that out CP.
I also might add you want to mark your measuring points horizontally on the tire to so you always go back to the same reference point with out getting a different slant in your measuring tape.
Front tires are wearing bad on mine, back are perfect so I went ahead and checked mine. Same as all the rest, towed out 1/4" on both sides so 1/2" total toe out. Used the string method and set it to a total of 3/16ths. That is 3/32nds on each wheel toed in. Should help with the tire wear I am sure.

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Question, my right tire is wearing on the middle inside , I have 3 threads showing past the nut so do I adjust it to say 4 threads showing or 2 threads past the nut ?🤔

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@gullyjumper I don't think anyone can really answer that based on your description. Wear is a product of toe, camber, tire pressure, etc.

Is your machine all stock, or have you lifted it in any way, or went to larger tires...

advertisement