P700 2014 700-4 problems

B

Bodinok

Jun 17, 2020
Colfax, wa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey people, at wits end here... I bought my 2014 700-4 brand new, first in the county. I bought this machine for fun, hunting, and elk camp logging, I used the hell out of it. I had no problem with it until the dealer did the first oil change. After that it seemed like I lost alot of power. First thing that screwed me, was I broke the temp sensor wire. Got that fixed. Then it started not wanting to shift for crap, got that figured out for a while... found out I had lost the spring in the oil filter at one point, got it fixed and shifted just like new for a couple months. Then, the crap shifting started again. I'd give it another oil change, it would fix it again for a while, then it would start again. So I've already figured I'd have to get the top end rebuilt. But now, I took it out a couple weekends ago, it was running like a champ, then I started going up a hill, lost power, had my wife pull me up the short hill with the 4wheeler, sat and idled to figure out a plan, looked down and noticed the gear indicator shown the negative sign, so I went through my dash button items, and seen that the engine was hot. So I turned the machine off, and let it sit. Waited about 20 minutes, tried to start it again after it shown the engine cooled down to normal, and it wouldnt crank. Still haven't been able to start it still. Need help or suggestions before I send it to a mechanic

• Wow
Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey people, at wits end here... I bought my 2014 700-4 brand new, first in the county. I bought this machine for fun, hunting, and elk camp logging, I used the hell out of it. I had no problem with it until the dealer did the first oil change. After that it seemed like I lost alot of power. First thing that screwed me, was I broke the temp sensor wire. Got that fixed. Then it started not wanting to shift for crap, got that figured out for a while... found out I had lost the spring in the oil filter at one point, got it fixed and shifted just like new for a couple months. Then, the crap shifting started again. I'd give it another oil change, it would fix it again for a while, then it would start again. So I've already figured I'd have to get the top end rebuilt. But now, I took it out a couple weekends ago, it was running like a champ, then I started going up a hill, lost power, had my wife pull me up the short hill with the 4wheeler, sat and idled to figure out a plan, looked down and noticed the gear indicator shown the negative sign, so I went through my dash button items, and seen that the engine was hot. So I turned the machine off, and let it sit. Waited about 20 minutes, tried to start it again after it shown the engine cooled down to normal, and it wouldnt crank. Still haven't been able to start it still. Need help or suggestions before I send it to a mechanic
Is it turning over at all?

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
If the metal gasket on the oil filter is not put back I've read where there could be "problems".

Reactions: Bodinok
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
When did the "first oil change" occur?

H

HondaTech

Sounds like something in the trans isnt happy if the shifting was going south.

Id have the oil pressure checked at the engine port and trans port when hot and see whats going on if you can get it started again.

I dont know what they could've done at the first oil change to cause the problem unless they didn't put the correct amount of oil in the machine and it was damaged from then on.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like the shifting problem is somethig in the trans clogged. Now for the cranking over if it wont turn over at all might have locked it up. Have you did the top end yet? And was the radiator dirty? Cause these things rarely overheat unless at high altitude or the radiator is clogged. Or there is an air bubble. But id guess there wasnt an air bubble if it locked up. Is the starter clicking at all if so remove it and try to spin the starter to just to make sure its not a coincidence and the starter failed. If the starter works. Id take it in for a full rebuild. Or price a full rebuild vs a rebuilt motor online. Would only take a few hrs to drop a new one in. But if you have any mech knowledge you could tear into the top end and see if the piston is locked and if the bottom end bearing has any slack before the full rebuild. 500-600 bucks and about 4 hrs and you can redo the top end yourself. Need 2 sets of hands though makes it alot easier.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check all the battery connections including the ground to engine end, try starting, no go try jumping it off a non-running car to see if it starts if it does have the battery checked. Let us know what you find

Reactions: Bodinok and Mudwing
advertisement
B

Bodinok

Jun 17, 2020
Colfax, wa
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I need to apologize for the lengthy time of not replying and keeping everyone updated. I started it out with just putting in a new battery, because it was 6 years old, and it fired right up.... so that problem is fixed. Still haven't been able to get the machine looked at by a shop... waiting for them to let me know when they can fix it

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Don't know if this is applicable to your situation. I have a 2018 700-4. I've found putting in 4 quarts of Honda oil when changing oil and filter works the best for my work/riding. I live and ride at 5500 to 7100 ft. elevation. Lots of short steep hills. The buggy shifts better and runs cooler with the little extra Honda oil. (Slightly over full)

My neighbor has a 2015 700, he used to use non-Honda oil. Had many of the same problems you are. After a year of me running circles around him, he switched back to the Honda oil. Funny thing, most all his problems went away. Just something to consider.