P1000 1000-5 shuts off when placed in gear

C

Chavez

Sep 19, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
I’ve tried loading a video but even 5 seconds is too large. I have 1000-5 2016 replaced reverse gears 2 weeks ago and has ran flawlessly. Today it shuts down while driving. Place in park and start runs great, put in reverse or high and won’t go anywhere and where the gear indicator on the dash will show 1, 2, or 3 while selecting through. At one point I turned off and pushed in neutral and it started but when placing in reverse or high it would instantly shut down. Checked vent on the tank and electrical connections near where I took sub trans off. I put new plugs, filter and filled with gas after reverse repair. That’s all I’ve done. Like I said ran great for 2 weeks. Could it be ethanol gas? HELP!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Videos must be uploaded to Youtube and copy/paste the video link here.

Common issue on older machines is injector wiring. The movement of the engine into gear will move the harness enough to shut it off. It will throw a code.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This one sounds like it could be the shift motor issue as well. Do a search on "shift motor" and see if your symptoms look like what you read there...

Reactions: Lady01
C

Chavez

Sep 19, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
This one sounds like it could be the shift motor issue as well. Do a search on "shift motor" and see if your symptoms look like what you read there...
Yes. I’ve started the engine and wiggled the injector wires and it doesn’t shut down. I did order Honda sxs repair anyway just for future. One other thing I didn’t mention. When I took sub trans apart and replaced all, after putting it all back together I found the washer from the shift fork assembly, the one that sits on very top, sitting on my work bench. Wonder if that mm thick washer could be my issue.

C

Chavez

Sep 19, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Yes. I’ve started the engine and wiggled the injector wires and it doesn’t shut down. I did order Honda sxs repair anyway just for future. One other thing I didn’t mention. When I took sub trans apart and replaced all, after putting it all back together I found the washer from the shift fork assembly, the one that sits on very top, sitting on my work bench. Wonder if that mm thick washer could be my issue.
Sorry not the shift fork but the shaft that holds gearshift arm. It sits on very top before replacing housing cover. I placed the cover on to check alignment and then removed it. I think the washer fell out then. Also could it be the neutral alignment because my white mark was missing so I had to guess on alignment