P1000 1000-5 SE and steep grades?

T

Triggerfin

Apr 25, 2017
Emerald Isle, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Time for me to replace my 2006 Rhino 660. I live in NC but will exclusively use it on some family property in the VA mountains. Terrain is extreme and to reach about 75 acres of the property and access national forest, there are 2 old logging roads that are extremely steep - I want to say 70 degrees give or take. I attempted it once in my Rhino and my front tires left the ground and I almost lost it so that was that.

That said, I have family with a Teryx and a new Viking that regularly use the road although the Viking had to be upgraded with larger tires (else just spin). People with 4wheelers have to put a buddy in front of the handlebars to keep the wheels down when going up - yeah, that steep.

1005-LE a good option for me? Think the hill start and i4wd might be handy for the super steep trails?

S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow jd love to see a video that climb. Curious if they were old logging roads how the old-timers got up them with logging equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arizona
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I would think the adjustable shocks on the LE would help too. Suspension plays a big part in keeping traction, especially on steeps climbs.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
BackYardSigns

BackYardSigns

Apr 5, 2017
Auburn, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And you could buy the rear Super ATV arms that move the wheels back and that should cure any lightness in the front end.

I would like to see a video as well.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Time for me to replace my 2006 Rhino 660. I live in NC but will exclusively use it on some family property in the VA mountains. Terrain is extreme and to reach about 75 acres of the property and access national forest, there are 2 old logging roads that are extremely steep - I want to say 70 degrees give or take. I attempted it once in my Rhino and my front tires left the ground and I almost lost it so that was that.

That said, I have family with a Teryx and a new Viking that regularly use the road although the Viking had to be upgraded with larger tires (else just spin). People with 4wheelers have to put a buddy in front of the handlebars to keep the wheels down when going up - yeah, that steep.

1005-LE a good option for me? Think the hill start and i4wd might be handy for the super steep trails?

If it was me, I'd winch the machine up something that steep.

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
J

JTW

She'll do fine.. 4 wheel drive and let her eat!

I picked mine up to the tipping point when adding my skids and sat it on some foam.. this is where the machines tilting point is. I could let the winch line out and it would stay there.. or I could give it a general push and it would have crashed back down to the floor.
IMG 2649 IMG 2650

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
She'll do fine.. 4 wheel drive and let her eat!

I picked mine up to the tipping point when adding my skids and sat it on some foam.. this is where the machines tilting point is. I could let the winch line out and it would stay there.. or I could give it a general push and it would have crashed back down to the floor.
View attachment 42313 View attachment 42314

Practice?????

Reactions: sharp
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
A good set of tires on it and a Good winch should be good to go.

advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think I'd rather have the 4 wheel diff lock than the I4. Like the other guy said. Suspension makes a big difference too. I've climbed some steep hills and never been even close to feeling tippy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk